Crochet Terms

Crochet is a popular crafting hobby enjoyed by people all around the world, but did you know that there are some differences in terminology and technique between the UK and US?

First, let’s start with the terminology. In the UK, crochet terms are written in British English, while in the US, they are written in American English. This can lead to some confusion, as certain terms have different meanings on either side of the pond. For example, in the UK, the term “double crochet” (dc) refers to what is called a “single crochet” (sc) in the US. Similarly, in the UK a “treble crochet” (tr) is equivalent to a “double crochet” (dc) in the US. It’s important to pay attention to this difference when following a crochet pattern written in either country.

Despite these differences, both UK and US crochet are based on the same basic principles and can be used to create a wide variety of projects. Whether you’re a seasoned crocheter or just starting out, it’s important to be aware of these differences and to use the correct terminology and techniques when following a crochet pattern. With practice, you’ll be able to create beautiful crocheted items no matter which country you’re in!